Ways and tweaks to make nagios more efficient. load average on monitoring host edging up.

Rahul Nabar rpnabar at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 21:00:53 CET 2009

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 6:04 PM, Mathieu Gagné <mgagne at iweb.com> wrote:

> We have +2000 hosts and +4700 services configured on one of our Nagios
> instance. Load average is between 1.3 an 2.0 which I find acceptable.

Wow. That's way bigger than what I have. Mine's a cluster of 256 machines
and around 6 services checked on each. I have an advantage that most are on
a local LAN so no internet connectivity issues and external bandwidth
bottlenecks.

> The SSH service state can be CRITICAL while all the other services are
> still OK. (ie. ssh server misconfiguration) You probably want to be informed
> about it too.

True. But if SSH is down will NRPE still work? Or are they totally
independent?

> What kind of server are you using?

Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.80GHz dual core. 2 GB RAM

> Also, what's the check_interval? A 1 minute interval might put the server
> on its knee since it would be scheduling and executing 1536 checks per
> minute. (as per your informations)

nagios.cfg
     command_check_interval=-1
services.cfg