Ways and tweaks to make nagios more efficient. load average on monitoring host edging up.

Rahul Nabar rpnabar at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 19:26:28 CET 2009

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 1:32 AM, Kyle O'Donnell <kyleodonnell at gmail.com>wrote:

> I use service deps.  Most of my services are nrpe checks and I create
> a dep on nrpe.  If a check comes back critical (or which ever state
> you choose to execute the dep) it does an nrpe check,  if nrpe returns
> critical (or whichever state you choose) it stops executing the
> services dependant on nrpe.
>
> My load is less than 2 on a machine with 800 hosts and 6000 services.
>
> Active host checks are disabled.

So, you have no active checks at all? Or just no active host checks? I am a
bit confused. All my checks are active. How does one disable active host
checks? And then when will the host check be done at all?

> As for ping I don't check as a service only a host check which gets
> executed if any service turns critical.

That might be the exact functionality I was thinking of. If I look under
"Host Status Details for all host groups" I see very recent and regular
checks being done on all my hosts under the column for "Last Check". Even
ones that do not have any services critical.

Or will I only see the behavior you describe after I somehow disable "active
host checks"?

> You can use check_ssh as the host check command instead of ping if you
> prefer as well.

Good idea. But I still want ping to fall back on. If ssh fails only then
ping. Is that logical?

--
Rahul