NRPE installation fails since check_nrpe pluginis not found in the libexec directory

James Pratt jpratt at norwich.edu
Mon Jan 26 22:34:26 CET 2009

From: Rahul Nabar [mailto:rpnabar at gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, January 26, 2009 4:18 PM
To: James Pratt
Cc: Nagios Users
Subject: Re: [Nagios-users] NRPE installation fails since check_nrpe pluginis not found in the libexec directory

Yes, check to ensure gnutls is also installed (rpm -q | grep tls) , and also run "ldconfig -v | grep ssl" and just be sure it can see the openssl-related *.so file(s).... ;)

Thanks Jamie! I'm stumped here am doing all checks possible to sniff out what my problems are!

I am not very sure, but the output below seems to indicate that we have what we need right?

rpm -q gnutls
gnutls-1.6.3-2.fc8
gnutls-1.6.3-2.fc8

ldconfig -v | grep ssl
        libssl.so.6 -> libssl.so.0.9.8b
        libssl.so.6 -> libssl.so.0.9.8b
        libssl3.so -> libssl3.so
        libgnutls-openssl.so.13 -> libgnutls-openssl.so.13.3.0
        libssl3.so -> libssl3.so
        libgnutls-openssl.so.13 -> libgnutls-openssl.so.13.3.0

>and just be sure it can see the openssl-related *.so file(s).... ;)

ls -al /usr/lib/libgnutls-openssl.so.13.3.0
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 102572 2007-08-21 16:25 /usr/lib/libgnutls-openssl.so.13.3.0

Hmm..I am not sure what you mean. Is the above a sufficient check?

Feel free to shoot more suggestions at me, however unlikely! At this point I really am grasping at straws! :-(

In case it matters I am running FC8; pretty standard. Hence I had never expected nrpe to be so difficult to get up and running!

--
Rahul

--

Yes all appears to be in order...  I'm not sure what to tell you there .... The only other thing I can think of is that FC8 is just too old (?)... I don't think there are even updates for it anymore...

You may want to just install FC10 or 11 (Or whatever the most recent is!) - I remember I once setup Nagios on FC10 or 11 and it was a breeze using RPM's for everything, and the Nagios site has good instructions...  (I now use CentOS 5.2 - fedora's release cycle is much too fast, and CentOS is as stable as RHEL for me...

Sorry I could not be of more help!

Regards,
Jamie