check_dhcp seems not working

jmoseley at corp.xanadoo.com jmoseley at corp.xanadoo.com
Thu Jan 15 22:44:47 CET 2009

Holger Weiss <holger at CIS.FU-Berlin.DE>  wrote:

* jmoseley at corp.xanadoo.com [2009-01-15 14:59]:
>> Holger Weiss <holger at CIS.FU-Berlin.DE>  wrote:
>> * jmoseley at corp.xanadoo.com [2009-01-15 13:06]:
>>
>> >For such a setup, step (2) isn't necessary, as check_dhcp will mimic a
>> >DHCP relay if the "--unicast" option is specified.
>>
>> What I meant was you'd have to have an ip helper-address configured.

>But that's precisely what you don't need if you use check_dhcp's
>"--unicast" option :-)  If you configure an "ip helper-address" (as
>Cisco calls it), the router will relay local DHCP broadcast packets to
>the specified remote DHCP server.  "check_dhcp --unicast" creates the
>same sort of unicast packets such a relay would generate.

OK, I've got you now.

Back to the orginal topic.  Christian, another thing to check on the Nagios
server is if you have SELinux enabled.  That could definitely cause
problems with plugins that are SUID root.  If SELinux is enabled, disable
it and try the check_dhcp plugin again.

James