check_dhcp seems not working

Holger Weiss holger at CIS.FU-Berlin.DE
Thu Jan 15 22:19:29 CET 2009

* jmoseley at corp.xanadoo.com [2009-01-15 14:59]:
> Holger Weiss <holger at CIS.FU-Berlin.DE>  wrote:
> * jmoseley at corp.xanadoo.com [2009-01-15 13:06]:
> >> 2. Have a DHCP relay statement on the router's interface your Nagios server
> >> connects to so it knows to which server to relay the DHCP request to
>
> >For such a setup, step (2) isn't necessary, as check_dhcp will mimic a
> >DHCP relay if the "--unicast" option is specified.
>
> What I meant was you'd have to have an ip helper-address configured.

But that's precisely what you don't need if you use check_dhcp's
"--unicast" option :-)  If you configure an "ip helper-address" (as
Cisco calls it), the router will relay local DHCP broadcast packets to
the specified remote DHCP server.  "check_dhcp --unicast" creates the
same sort of unicast packets such a relay would generate.

Holger