lazy nagios und cygwin...

Paul Weaver paul.weaver at bbc.co.uk
Tue Feb 24 17:25:41 CET 2009

> Hello,
>
> we are running nagios 3.0.5 under cygwin quite successfully
> in a relatively simple setup

That's surprising, but good news. I hope you don't rely on it

> (most check results come via
> NRPE from NSCA++ clients on windows machines). Everything is
> well, but sometimes a awkward thing happens: nagios just
> stops doing anything.
>
> - It continues to run : the processes are visible in the
> Windows process table
> - It ceases to execute checks: checks just stop bein executed
> - It ceases to write anything to a logfile
> - It also ceases to write anything to a debug file with
> Debug=16 (last entry is nothing suspicous)

Interesting definition of "quite successfully".

> After killing the nagios processes and restarting the windows
> service (nagios is registered as a windows service using the
> cygrunsrv facility) everything is back to normal.
> What I find most annoying is that even in the CGI output
> everything seems normal - just that the last checks are
> several hours overdue, but no alarm or other signal is shown.
>
> We are not sure if this is cygwin/windows related or if it is
> a problem which also happens in the "normal" unix environment

I've never seen anything like it. Our main nagios installation has
failed in the past -- the disk has filled up, preventing status
updates, and the power has failed -- not the box UPS power, but
the Aircon GS power, so we had to shut down as much as possible. If it
happens again we wont be shutting down nagios, too essential.

The Aircon should be powered by diesel generators, they didn't kick in
(not nagios monitored you see!)

> Comments would be very welcome. I will now turn up debugging
> further in the hope that then we see something interesting.

Cygwin != unix. At the core, windows deals with files and sockets
in a very different way to linux and solaris (and probably other
unixes)

It wouldn't surprise me if the something changed with the status file.
If you can't install a linux distro onto the box, run up a virtualbox
environment to host nagios in. It wouldn't be perfect, but will probably

be better than cygwin.