lazy nagios und cygwin...

Jakob Curdes jc at info-systems.de
Tue Feb 24 17:46:45 CET 2009

> That's surprising, but good news. I hope you don't rely on it

Oh, we do, after running it for half a year without problems.... the
hard part was to get the standard check scripts running as they won't
compile under cygwin.
The main nagios executable compiles and runs nicely (hem... almost..)
with --enable-cygwin .

> Interesting definition of "quite successfully".

Well, as said, the error did not appear always. It happens now and then,
sometimes twice a day and then the system runs for weeks.
> I've never seen anything like it.
I haven't and we are running other nagios installations too, on several
different linux installations.
> Cygwin != unix. At the core, windows deals with files and sockets
> in a very different way to linux and solaris (and probably other
> unixes)
>
> It wouldn't surprise me if the something changed with the status file.
> If you can't install a linux distro onto the box, run up a virtualbox
> environment to host nagios in. It wouldn't be perfect, but will probably
>
> be better than cygwin.

For reasons that are quite complicated in this case it is not an option
to run nagios in a virtual box.
I posed this question here mainly to see if this happens with unices
also - if not, it is probably something for the cygwin mailing list.

I just observed that after ending one of the two existing nagios
processes with the windows task manager, things continued to run
normally without a restart.
So now I suspect it is either a blocked file access or some fork()
problem- these sometimes happen with cygwin.
I enabled the large installation quirks that should reduce the number of
forks, let's see if that helps.

Regards,
Jakob