peer review debian check

Martin Melin mmelin at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 13:24:09 CET 2009

Hello,

This service definition will, assuming a default interval_length,
execute the check_debian_updates NRPE check every 5 minutes but only
notify you every 24 hours in case of failure.

For this case, I'd suggest switching the values of
notification_interval and check_interval (normal_check_interval is
AFAIK v2, is that what you're running?) so that the check is executed
once every 24 hours, but that you're notified every 5 minutes if the
check returns non-OK.

I don't know how your NRPE check is set up, but you might want to
reconsider your max_check_attempts as well. If the check simply
returns non-OK if there are updates available, you probably don't want
to re-check for updates 10 times before notifying.

I would also set flap_detection_enabled to 0 because you don't want
Nagios to detect flapping with a check like this (otherwise the flap
detection logic will consider the last 21 days of results)

HTH,

Martin Melin