peer review debian check

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Tue Dec 29 13:46:45 CET 2009

2009/12/29 Brent Clark <brentgclarklist at gmail.com>:
> Hiya
>
> I was hoping someone would be kind to peer review my service check.
>
> I got a nrpe check to check that the debian packages on my servers are
> up to date. I would like for this check to run once a day.
>
> This is what I was able to come up with.
>
> define service{
>         use                     generic-service
>         hostgroup_name          debian-packages
>         service_description     Debian Packages
>         check_command           check_nrpe!check_debian_updates
>         notification_interval   1440
>         is_volatile             0
>         check_period            24x7
>         normal_check_interval   5
>         retry_check_interval    1
>         max_check_attempts      10
>         notification_period     24x7
>         }
>
> Is this correct, if not, would someone be kind enough to point me on the
> correct path so that i can achieve this check.

It looks okay to me.

As with any change to your config, you need to run
"/usr/local/nagios/bin/nagios -v /usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg" to
verify your configuration and make sure there are no warnings or
errors.

You could try running the check command from the command-line on your
Nagios server (while logged in as the nagios user) to make sure it is
likely to work okay:

  /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H serverA -u check_debian_updates

(replace "serverA" with the hostname or IP address of a host you want
to test this on).  If this test doesn't work, then you may need to
look at your nrpe setup.

Personally I wouldn't run this kind of test as frequently as this, but
if your Nagios server isn't too stressed I don't suppose it matters
much one way or the other.

hth,

Jim