benchmark question

Dario B. Bestetti (OpServices) dario.bestetti at opservices.com.br
Mon Dec 14 17:53:04 CET 2009

----- "Patrick Morris" <patrick.morris at hp.com> escreveu:

> shadih rahman wrote:
> > List,
> >    Is there any information as to what is the maximum number of
> > services one can run on a single box with single instance of Nagios?
>
> > I did not find any concrete data on this.
> >
> > I am running a single instance of nagios on a quad core 2.5 GHZ
> > machine with with 4 Gigs of RAM.
> >
> > I have total of 7359 service check running on this box.  I have also
>
> > ndoutils running on the same box as backend.
> >
> > My total service checks is going to five fold very soon with a lot
> of
> > nrpe checks.
> >
> > Now, my question is should I run multiple instance of nagios on the
>
> > same box or a single instance will be able to handle about 30000
> > service checks?
>
> In my experience, you'll run into issues right around 8,000 checks or
>
> so, depending no output verbosity, on a fairly stock setup. This is
> due
> to the size of the pipe used to temporarily store check results, at
> least on Linux (and you may be seeing it already with your number of
> checks). Around that point, even with quite a bit of tuning, the check
>
> results will fill the pipe in less than a second, which is the minimum
>
> amount of time I've been able to configure Nagios to flush it. When
> that
> happens, latencies go through the roof.
>
> Distributing the checks doesn't solve the problem if you're still
> sending the results to a centralized Nagios instance, since one
> machine
> still needs to process all of them.
>
> I'm working through this situation now, and it's looking like it may
> take a custom kernel with a larger pipe size to handle
> it.

> reporting any issue.

Shadih, we have a customer running over 20.000 service checks in a single box.

The box is 2x Intel Dual-core Xeon 3Ghz with 8Gb RAM. The latency is around 0.7s. The checks are performed between 3min and 5min. They have around 40 simultaneous users.

Dario B. Bestetti        OpServices
                                  R. Luciana de Abreu, 471 - Sala 403
                                  Porto Alegre, RS - CEP 90570-060
Fone 55(51)32753588 Mobile  55(51)81518218
Fax     55(51)32753588  Email    dario.bestetti at opservices.com.br

               "In God we trust, the rest we monitor ..."