benchmark question

Morris, Patrick patrick.morris at hp.com
Mon Dec 14 17:29:00 CET 2009

shadih rahman wrote:
> List,
>    Is there any information as to what is the maximum number of
> services one can run on a single box with single instance of Nagios?
> I did not find any concrete data on this.
>
> I am running a single instance of nagios on a quad core 2.5 GHZ
> machine with with 4 Gigs of RAM.
>
> I have total of 7359 service check running on this box.  I have also
> ndoutils running on the same box as backend.
>
> My total service checks is going to five fold very soon with a lot of
> nrpe checks.
>
> Now, my question is should I run multiple instance of nagios on the
> same box or a single instance will be able to handle about 30000
> service checks?

In my experience, you'll run into issues right around 8,000 checks or
so, depending no output verbosity, on a fairly stock setup. This is due
to the size of the pipe used to temporarily store check results, at
least on Linux (and you may be seeing it already with your number of
checks). Around that point, even with quite a bit of tuning, the check
results will fill the pipe in less than a second, which is the minimum
amount of time I've been able to configure Nagios to flush it. When that
happens, latencies go through the roof.

Distributing the checks doesn't solve the problem if you're still
sending the results to a centralized Nagios instance, since one machine
still needs to process all of them.

I'm working through this situation now, and it's looking like it may
take a custom kernel with a larger pipe size to handle
it.