benchmark question

David Dumortier david.dumortier at linagora.com
Tue Dec 15 14:07:34 CET 2009

Hi Patrick, hi all,

Dario B. Bestetti (OpServices) a écrit :

> ----- "Patrick Morris" <patrick.morris at hp.com> escreveu:
>
>> shadih rahman wrote:
>> > List,
>> >    Is there any information as to what is the maximum number of
>> > services one can run on a single box with single instance of Nagios?
>>
>> > I did not find any concrete data on this.
>> >
>> > I am running a single instance of nagios on a quad core 2.5 GHZ
>> > machine with with 4 Gigs of RAM.
>> >
>> > I have total of 7359 service check running on this box.  I have also
>>
>> > ndoutils running on the same box as backend.
>> >
>> > My total service checks is going to five fold very soon with a lot
>> of
>> > nrpe checks.
>> >
>> > Now, my question is should I run multiple instance of nagios on the
>>
>> > same box or a single instance will be able to handle about 30000
>> > service checks?
>>
>> In my experience, you'll run into issues right around 8,000 checks or
>>
>> so, depending no output verbosity, on a fairly stock setup. This is
>> due
>> to the size of the pipe used to temporarily store check results, at
>> least on Linux (and you may be seeing it already with your number of
>> checks). Around that point, even with quite a bit of tuning, the check
>>
>> results will fill the pipe in less than a second, which is the minimum
>>
>> amount of time I've been able to configure Nagios to flush it. When
>> that
>> happens, latencies go through the roof.
>>
>> Distributing the checks doesn't solve the problem if you're still
>> sending the results to a centralized Nagios instance, since one
>> machine
>> still needs to process all of them.
>>
>> I'm working through this situation now, and it's looking like it may
>> take a custom kernel with a larger pipe size to handle
>> it.
>>

> Shadih, we have a customer running over 20.000 service checks in a single
> box.
>
> The box is 2x Intel Dual-core Xeon 3Ghz with 8Gb RAM. The latency is
> around 0.7s. The checks are performed between 3min and 5min. They have
> around 40 simultaneous users.

> Dario B. Bestetti        OpServices

I had to install a bunch of nagios for 400000 polls. We ran some tests on
bi-Xeon Dual-Core with 4Go. It seems the limit of Nagios 3 is around 25000
services by server, but we didn't use the interface and the recording to
database is with Perl scripts of our own. Taking 20000 services as a limit
seem to be the right thing to do, perhaps less as 15000 with NDO.

Regards,
--
David Dumortier
LINAGORA