Hardware requirements

Tommy Mogensen tommy.mogensen at uni-c.dk
Tue Dec 1 16:14:39 CET 2009

Hi Nagios-experts

I am looking for a free system able to monitor 3000-5000 hosts (Mainly
cisco routers, switches and ap's) via ping and snmp. I would prefer to
run everything on one server if possible.

I have received a good deal on a machine with 16G ram, 2xSSD-disks
(maybe in raid-0), and 2xIntel E5520-CPUs. I would appreciate your input
regarding the performance issues should I use Nagios for this system.

Is this configuration powerful enough, what are the limiting parts of
the setup and are some of the pieces unnecessary? I.e. I could go for
one cpu (4 cores) if nagios does not support threading to 8 cores....or
is the main bottleneck that I do not run it distributed?

Regards,
Tommy