high load on nagios server due to status.cgi

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Wed Aug 19 14:04:54 CEST 2009

2009/8/19 rakesh kakde <rakesh.kakde at gmail.com>:

> Problem:  We are facing the problem while browsing the servers from Nagios
> web portal. Rendering of the server details is too slow that we need to wait
> around 2 min to get details about the server.
>
> We are continuously seeing that server load is always high and it is due to
> processing of status.cgi and extinfo.cgi
>

> In status.cgi there are no of entries for service comments,acknowledgement
> associated with each host and services. Even if the problem associated with
> the service is resolved that service comment is still in status.cgi.
>

> Due to which size of the status.cgi file is keep on increasing and which in
> turn resulting this high time rendering issue and also huge load on server.

Make sure you read http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/tuning.html
, but to be honest, those instructions are more to do with performance
of the Nagios scheduler, not the .cgis.

Some screens do take a long time to render on a busy server.  I have
removed one or two of them from /usr/local/nagios/share/side.html to
prevent users from displaying them and using up excessive CPU.

If you have configured the Nagios EXtended Status Map (NEXSM) you will
find that while that is running it puts quite a heavy load on the web
server.

You might want to consider increasing the value "refresh_rate" in
cgi.cfg to reduce the frequency that the cgi will automatically
refresh.

I don't know if any of these suggestions will entirely fix your
problem, but hopefully I've given you a few ideas.

Cheers,

Jim