high load on nagios server due to status.cgi

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Wed Aug 19 15:27:16 CEST 2009

On Aug 19, 2009, at 6:24 AM, rakesh kakde wrote:

> Problem:  We are facing the problem while browsing the servers from
> Nagios web portal. Rendering of the server details is too slow that
> we need to wait around 2 min to get details about the server.

I'm not sure what you've done differently but my experience is that
this isn't normal. I've not done anything special to my install (other
than use large install tweaks setting), running on comparable hardware
to you with 8683 services and none of the status.cgi screens take
longer than 15 seconds to pull up, even over the Internet. Those that
do take the longest (show all services and hostgroup grid) are slow
primarily due to the time it's taking the browser to render the
tables...

> We are continuously seeing that server load is always high and it is
> due to processing of status.cgi and extinfo.cgi

What specific status.cgi view is causing this?

> Here is the o/p of top
>
>   PID USER      PR  NI %CPU    TIME+  %MEM  VIRT  RES  SHR S COMMAND
> 14857 apache    25   0   88   0:12.46  0.8 35588  30m  16m R
> status.cgi

Use strace to see what it's doing. Where does top show the utilization
(i.e. is it IO wait? could you have slow disks or a problem disk?)

> In status.cgi there are no of entries for service
> comments,acknowledgement associated with each host and services.
> Even if the problem associated with the service is resolved that
> service comment is still in status.cgi.

I'm not sure what you're saying here. There are no service comments
but if the problem is resolved there are still no service comments?

If you're talking about the comment you add when acknowledging, and
mean to say that it does exist, this is expected if you've selected
'Persistent Comment'. Comments added outside of Acknowledgements hang
around until you remove them.

> Due to which size of the status.cgi file is keep on increasing and
> which in turn resulting this high time rendering issue and also huge
> load on server.

12M status.dat and objects.cache here...

--
Marc