high load on nagios server due to status.cgi

rakesh kakde rakesh.kakde at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 13:24:48 CEST 2009

Hello,

*Problem:*  We are facing the problem while browsing the servers from Nagios
web portal. Rendering of the server details is too slow that we need to wait
around 2 min to get details about the server.

We are continuously seeing that server load is always high and it is due to
processing of status.cgi and extinfo.cgi

Here is the o/p of top

  PID USER      PR  NI %CPU    TIME+  %MEM  VIRT  RES  SHR S COMMAND

*14857 apache    25   0   88   0:12.46  0.8 35588  30m  16m R status.cgi*

In status.cgi there are no of entries for service comments,acknowledgement
associated with each host and services. Even if the problem associated with
the service is resolved that service comment is still in status.cgi.

Due to which size of the status.cgi file is keep on increasing and which in
turn resulting this high time rendering issue and also huge load on server.

*Please suggest how to resolve this problem.*

* *

Our technical details:

We are using nagios v 3.0.6 on red hat Linux 2.6.9-67.ELsmp to monitor our
all servers like (windows/Linux/Solaris)

Total 905 hosts and 7985 services are being monitored by our server.

Technical spec of server:

Processor:        2* AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 254 with 2.8 GHZ cpu speed

RAM:                4 GB

Please let me know in case of any more information required.

Rakesh Kakde