how can i define check-sequences ?

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Sat Apr 18 11:32:31 CEST 2009

2009/4/17 Hussayn Dabbous <hussayn.dabbous at saxess.de>:
> Hi;
>
> I have defined a set of ~40 independent (fully unrelated) Tests for a
> large set of Webapplications (using bash shell scripts).
> I need all Tests to be executed every morning between 6 am and 8 am. So
> i have defined an appropriate time periods setting
> and i have configured all my tests appropriately. So far so well.
>
> Now Nagios schedules all tests at 6 am instead of distributing the tests
> over the available time period (6-8 am).
> But i do not want to let all Tests run at the same time. I rather would
> like to "evenly distribute" the checks over the given time
> period of 2 hours, so that each check starts 3 minutes after the
> previous check started...
> But it definitively would be sufficient, if the checks just run
> sequentially (one at a time)...
> How can i achieve the one or the other best ?
>
> The only idea i have right now, is to define different time periods for
> each test. But that does not sound
> very clever... Is there any better option available ?
>
> i am using following software versions:
>
>  NagiosQl - 3.0.2
>  nagios 3.0.6
>  Suse-Linux 11.1
>
> One remark: I am not (yet) well experienced with nagios, but i have a
> good knowledge about linux and Suse, so if there is a
> solution available which involves modifying the files directly on the
> OS, i have no problems as long as NagiosQL will not break ;-)
>
> Thanks for any hint.
> Hussayn

If you want to make sure that checks run at a given time and in
sequence, I recommend you configure them as a passive checks.  Run the
checks it in a script under cron with sleeps seperating each one and
have them push the check results to nagios either by writing to the
command file or using nsca (depending on whether you run the checks on
the local or remote host).

See http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/passivechecks.html

hth,

Jim