how can i define check-sequences ?

Hussayn Dabbous hussayn.dabbous at saxess.de
Sat Apr 18 00:52:43 CEST 2009

Hi;

I have defined a set of ~40 independent (fully unrelated) Tests for a
large set of Webapplications (using bash shell scripts).
I need all Tests to be executed every morning between 6 am and 8 am. So
i have defined an appropriate time periods setting
and i have configured all my tests appropriately. So far so well.

Now Nagios schedules all tests at 6 am instead of distributing the tests
over the available time period (6-8 am).
But i do not want to let all Tests run at the same time. I rather would
like to "evenly distribute" the checks over the given time
period of 2 hours, so that each check starts 3 minutes after the
previous check started...
But it definitively would be sufficient, if the checks just run
sequentially (one at a time)...
How can i achieve the one or the other best ?

The only idea i have right now, is to define different time periods for
each test. But that does not sound
very clever... Is there any better option available ?

i am using following software versions:

  NagiosQl - 3.0.2
  nagios 3.0.6
  Suse-Linux 11.1

One remark: I am not (yet) well experienced with nagios, but i have a
good knowledge about linux and Suse, so if there is a
solution available which involves modifying the files directly on the
OS, i have no problems as long as NagiosQL will not break ;-)

Thanks for any hint.
Hussayn

--
Dr. Hussayn Dabbous