how can i define check-sequences ?

Hussayn Dabbous hussayn.dabbous at saxess.de
Sat Apr 18 18:40:54 CEST 2009

Jim Avery wrote:
> 2009/4/17 Hussayn Dabbous <hussayn.dabbous at saxess.de>:
>
>> Now Nagios schedules all tests at 6 am instead of distributing the tests
>> over the available time period (6-8 am).
>> But i do not want to let all Tests run at the same time. I rather would
>> like to "evenly distribute" the checks over the given time
>> period of 2 hours, so that each check starts 3 minutes after the
>> previous check started...
>>
> If you want to make sure that checks run at a given time and in
> sequence, I recommend you configure them as a passive checks.  Run the
> checks it in a script under cron with sleeps seperating each one and
> have them push the check results to nagios either by writing to the
> command file or using nsca (depending on whether you run the checks on
> the local or remote host).
>
> See http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/passivechecks.html
>
> hth,
>
> Jim

Ah, thank you, Jim. I see what you mean. That does the trick for the
time schedule and i now let cron
make the scheduling. But now i got one other problem, that is:

Before a particular webapplication check can start, the associated host
must be checked to be up.
Only if the host is OK, the webapplication-check shall execute. So how
can i do this ?

I would like to add a sequence into my test script, which asks nagios
someting like

"What status have you recently determined for host abc?"

I could of course check the host status directly from my script, but it
sounds much better to me, if i could
ask nagios directly for the status information. So is there any
possibility to query nagios for information ?
I have looked into the CGI scripts documentation. These scripts seem to
return high level information but
this information is allready layouted. What i am missing here is
something like raw data query,  which i can ask
to give information  e.g. as an XML-data stream for further processing
in my monitoring application.

Does something alike exist ? Maybe as an add-on to nagios?
regards, hussayn

--
Dr. Hussayn Dabbous
SAXESS Software Design GmbH