Nagios and Cacti

Andrew Davis nccomp at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 17:03:15 CEST 2009

And just an FYI from my own experience... putting Nagios & Cacti on the
same server has been somewhat problematic for us. We have over 400
network devices between switches, routers, WAPs, etc. We also have about
300 monitored servers. Initially I had Nagios and Cacti both on one
server with Cacti running via cron every 5 minutes. About every 5
minutes, my shells would become unresponsive for roughly 30 to 90
seconds. Turning off either Nagios or Cacti resolved the issue. Running
both seems to have hammered the server a bit (4Gb of RAM, 2 x dual core
2.x Ghz CPUs). We don't integrate Cacti and Nagios, however. Nagios does
both trending and alerts of all servers. Cacti does trending only of all
network devices/ports. Once I moved Cacti to its own server, all was
fine as far as load/latency went.

  A. Davis
  Email:     nccomp at gmail.com

  "There is no limit to what a man can accomplish
   if he doesn't care who gets the credit." - Ronald Reagan