Nagios and Cacti

Christopher McAtackney cristoir at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 17:15:34 CEST 2009

2009/4/8 Andrew Davis <nccomp at gmail.com>:
> And just an FYI from my own experience... putting Nagios & Cacti on the same
> server has been somewhat problematic for us. We have over 400 network
> devices between switches, routers, WAPs, etc. We also have about 300
> monitored servers. Initially I had Nagios and Cacti both on one server with
> Cacti running via cron every 5 minutes. About every 5 minutes, my shells
> would become unresponsive for roughly 30 to 90 seconds. Turning off either
> Nagios or Cacti resolved the issue. Running both seems to have hammered the
> server a bit (4Gb of RAM, 2 x dual core 2.x Ghz CPUs). We don't integrate
> Cacti and Nagios, however. Nagios does both trending and alerts of all
> servers. Cacti does trending only of all network devices/ports. Once I moved
> Cacti to its own server, all was fine as far as load/latency went.

That's useful to know Andrew, thanks.

Regarding the trending of network devices - is there any reason why
this can't be done by Nagios? I intend to install PNP4Nagios to take
care of graphing anyway, but I think it would be nice to have all my
monitored resources under the one system (for notifications and ease
of administration).

Is there some major advantage that Cacti provides when it comes to
SNMP monitoring of network devices that cannot be achieved with Nagios
and the various SNMP plug-ins available for it (e.g. like these ones
http://nagios.manubulon.com) ?

Cheers,
Chris