"strange" warnings from the config files

Morten Guldager morten.guldager at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 13:34:49 CEST 2009

On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 1:16 PM, Edgar Matzinger <Edgar.Matzinger at valid.nl>wrote:

> > How come that I get a warning if I omit the "check_period" on services
> > while it seems to be ok to leave it out on the hosts?
>
>   according the documentation (http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/
> objectdefinitions.html<http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/%0Aobjectdefinitions.html>),
> check_period is mandatory for both hosts and
> services! And thus, nagios should report an error in both occasions!

Perfect, at least the documentation is consistent. So it all boils down to a
missing warning when we forget to define a check_period where it should be
mandatory.

I guess its a matter of taste, but I'd expect the program to trigger a hard
error when trying to read its config files and then missing something
mandatory. The current behaviour is to my knowledge
undocumented/undefined/random.

--
/Morten %-)