Data is stale

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Wed Apr 1 21:03:48 CEST 2009

On Apr 1, 2009, at 12:54 PM, Peter Lauda wrote:

> I’ve got Nagios 3.0.2 running under the HP SIM software and I’ve
> encountered this problem.
>
> Several service checks give the result of “WARNING data is stale”
> using nrpe to check those services. There are no real indications of
> problems but these messages are consistent for certain services.
>
> Might anyone have any thoughts on what I can check to get these
> fixed? On some systems the same checks work just fine. Others, not
> so much… data is stale is all I ever see.

'data is stale' is not an error message that either nagios or nrpe
output. What is it coming from? The wording and apparent
implementation implies it's the result of a freshness check but that's
not possible with active NRPE checks.

Please locate the source of that error and let us know what it is. We
may be able to help if you provide the service{} definition, command{}
definition it references and the NRPE command definition on the remote
host it in turn references. If the final plugin being executed isn't a
standard plugin, please provide information about where you got it or
what it's doing.

--
Marc