Is there a way to set an individual service check timeout?

Jennifer Cranfill cranfill at imageworks.com
Thu Sep 25 19:47:28 CEST 2008

Marc Powell wrote:
> On Sep 24, 2008, at 6:58 PM, Jon Angliss wrote:

>>> All standard plugins support a timeout parameter, typically '-t
>>> <seconds>' that you can pass in the command definition. Run '/path/
>>> to/
>>> plugin --help' to see if it's supported and usage. It could also be
>>> passed from a service definition as a $ARGx$ macro.
>> I think you missed the request.
>
> I don't think I did but in any event, the answer is still the same.
> Use the timeout option for each plugin. Both facilities will return a
> CRITICAL state indicating that there was a  timeout error. Which
> program reported the error, the plugin or nagios, doesn't really seem
> pertinent.
>
>  > From what I can tell, it cannot be customized per plugin.  However,
> if
>> you set it high enough to cover all the plugins, and then set sane
>> values for the -t option for the plugins you should be okay.
>
> Correct, there is only one if-all-else-fails timeout for all services
> but when using timeout values per plugin, it should never get there
> unless something really bad went wrong with the plugin.

Thanks Jon and Marc.

I was looking for a way to extend the global timeout for specific
service checks, but it does not seem to be possible. I guess I'll go
with setting the global timeout to be large and then using -t for all
services I want to timeout earlier (99% of them).

Thanks again!

--
Jennifer Cranfill