service dependency in nagios 3.x

mizuki mizuki0621 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 21:25:40 CEST 2008

Hi,

Have anybody successfully used the new feature "Predictive Dependency
Checks".
>From my understanding, when nagios detects a Host/Service down/critical
status, it does an actual check of parents Host/Service instead of using a
"cached" status in previous version and decided whether or not a
notification should be sent out.
This is the most feature and reason I am testing right now to upgrade from
2.x -> 3.0, however I found it is not working for me.
I've read the documentation carefully and got things configured as below:

--- In nagios.cfg ------
cfg_file=/etc/nagios/objects/host_dependency.cfg

cached_host_check_horizon=0
cached_service_check_horizon=0

enable_predictive_host_dependency_checks=1
enable_predictive_service_dependency_checks=1
--------------------------

--- In host_dependency.cfg  -------------
define hostdependency{
        host_name                       parent_host_A
        dependent_host_name             child_host_B
        notification_failure_criteria   d,u
        }

I expected when child_host_B is down, it checks parent_host_A's host state
for real, if it's DOWN, nagios won't send notification for child_host_B
down.  But now, It seems to me, it still looks for cached status for
parent_host_A (instead of doing an actual check). For instance, even the
parent is down, as far as the cached state is UP, it will send notification
of child_host_B.

Any ideas how to get this work?
Thanks.

Mizuki