Is there a way to set an individual service check timeout?

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Thu Sep 25 06:55:10 CEST 2008

On Sep 24, 2008, at 6:58 PM, Jon Angliss wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 16:05:39 -0500, Marc Powell <marc at ena.com> wrote:
>

>> On Sep 24, 2008, at 12:33 PM, Jennifer Cranfill wrote:
>>
>>> The only setting for service check timeout that I see is the global
>>> service_check_timeout setting. Is there a setting that can be
>>> applied
>>> per command or per service check?
>
>> All standard plugins support a timeout parameter, typically '-t
>> <seconds>' that you can pass in the command definition. Run '/path/
>> to/
>> plugin --help' to see if it's supported and usage. It could also be
>> passed from a service definition as a $ARGx$ macro.
>
> I think you missed the request.

I don't think I did but in any event, the answer is still the same.
Use the timeout option for each plugin. Both facilities will return a
CRITICAL state indicating that there was a  timeout error. Which
program reported the error, the plugin or nagios, doesn't really seem
pertinent.

 > From what I can tell, it cannot be customized per plugin.  However,
if
> you set it high enough to cover all the plugins, and then set sane
> values for the -t option for the plugins you should be okay.

Correct, there is only one if-all-else-fails timeout for all services
but when using timeout values per plugin, it should never get there
unless something really bad went wrong with the plugin.

--
Marc