Hostgroup / Servicegroup and views (local/global)

Brouzouf brouz enopac at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 04:15:30 CEST 2008

Hi All,

Let's assume the below situation.

I have users in different location...let's say North America (na) and Europe
(eu) and I want them to be able to see only the devices belonging to there
respective region.
This is easily achievable by setting contact information as "na-users" and
"eu-users" on a per host basis (contact in hostgroup no longer works...maybe
someone know why the feature as been removed?).

I also have hostgroups such as "na-webservers" and "eu-webservers" that are
subgroups of "global-webservers".

If na-users or eu-users authenticate they will only see the groups belonging
to there region (with some magic tricks that I believe is "if a contact is
in all the host of the hostgroup then displays the group information"; but
now I also want some "global-users" to see *only* "global-webservers" since
showing the subgroups just make the GUI unreadable (yeah I have lots of
groups and subgroups) and show duplicated host status
(global-webserver+na-webservers+eu-webservers) since I have to add
"global-users" as a contact for all the hosts.

Is there anyway to achieve that?
I poked around and I think I could create a servicegroup called
"global-webservers" and tell the localuser (na-users,eu-users) to check the
"hostgroup summary/overview" and globalusers to check "servicegroup
summary/overview". But that seems like a hacky/ugly way of achieving my
goal.

Does anyone knows a way to achieve what I'm trying to do? (basically...what
having contacts per hostgroup would have allowed me to do easily....I guess)

thank you very much for your help!

brouzouf