Monitoring VMware

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Sep 24 06:16:02 CEST 2008

I have a new plug-in I've developed, check_vmware, which uses the Perl VI API to communicate with the VirtuaLCentre server to obtain the information (rather than with the individual ESX hosts via SNMP, as the check_esx plugins did).

This still is in early stages, but we've implemented it here and it has passed all the tests so far.

It also has an MRTG mode so that it can be used as an MRTG plug-in.

This will currently acquire data for a ESX server, for an server farm, or for an entire datacentre, plus for individual guests.

It will query the VirtualCentre alarm status, the CPU and Memory usage, and the Ready time (on guests only).  It also tries to pull out the 'fairness' stats on a DRS system but this doesn't work correctly on our system, for some reason.  It does not yet retrieve Swap statistics or Ready time averages over ESX hosts or farms.  I'm also planning to calculate standard deviation of CPU and memory usage over ESX hosts within a farm (which is an indication of how good your distribution of guests is over the farm) but I'm having performance issues doing this.

It requires Level 2 stats to be collected for the 5-min granularity in the virtualcentre.

It also requires the VI API Perl modules to be installed (get these from the VMWare site) and the dependent modules (SOAP::Lite)

If anyone would like a copy, please email me directly.  Note that it should be considered Beta code at best!  I'll post it to NagiosExchange once it can be considered stable.  Anyone attending LISA08 may be interested in seeing a brief demo of the sort of stats it retrieves at the MRTG BoF session on Wednesday.

Steve

---
Steve Shipway
UNIX Systems Administration, University of Auckland, New Zealand
+64 9 3737 599 x 86487
s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz<mailto:s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz>