Hysteresis anyone?

Simon Kainz simon.kainz at tugraz.at
Wed Nov 5 19:40:53 CET 2008

Hi list !

I'm currently monitoring several room temperature and humidity meters
and was wondering if anyone already has implementet some kind of
hysteresis in Nagios ?

My scenario is the following: I want an critical state when temp rises
above 26 degrees. As long as it doesnt drop below, say 24 deg, the state
should stay critial. The temp usually floats around 26 degrees (my upper
bound) which would lead to lots of notifications. But i only want the ok
notification after the temp drops below my lower bound (24 deg).
Everything inbetween shoud not trigger any warnings.

I've arguing to implement this behaviour directly in my temp check
plugins but was wondering if there is another more general approach to
this. Maybe some event handler magic ?

Hope i got this clear...

TIA, Simon