Hysteresis anyone?

Matthias Flacke Matthias.Flacke at gmx.de
Wed Nov 5 20:23:44 CET 2008

Maybe a check_multi solution is something for you
(http://my-plugin.de/check_multi):

----- 8< ------------------------------------------------------
# hysteresis.cmd
# call: check_multi -f hysteresis.cmd \
#    -s LASTSERVICESTATEID=$LASTSERVICESTATEID$ \
#    -s UPPER=<upper threshold> -s LOWER=<lower threshold>
#
# 1. get temperature value
command [ temperature ] = check_snmp ...

# 2. evaluate states
state [ CRITICAL ] = \
          $temperature$ >= $UPPER$ || \
        ( $temperature$ >= $LOWER$ && $LASTSERVICESTATEID$ != OK )

Didn't tested it, but it should work that way ;-)

The trick is the state evaluation which allows arbitrary perl expressions.
Nagios macros or extra parameters can be passed via -s/--set.

HTH - Matthias