Best Notification strategy?

Felipe Ferreira fferreira at osiatis.es
Wed Nov 5 10:18:15 CET 2008

Hello list,

Maybe this have been discussed but doing my searches I was not able to find.
Well I have doubts on how to correctly setup the notifications for our
admins on-call.
They complain to be getting to many alarms all night.
Here is how I have it setup:
1. Each 15min the Nagios check_host_alive each server, if there is no
answer, it will try 10 times before the first email,then it sends emails
to GROUP1 and repeats Each 1hr.
2. Each 2 emails to GROUP1 it will send max of 3 email to
GROUP2(blackberry) in intervals of 10min. The technician on-call, would
have to enter Nagios/Centreon web interface and clik in the alarm and
assign " Acknowledge" this way they would notrecieve any other emails.

The 2 problems of this solution:
1. The technician on-call is only going to receive a message after the
servant this 2 hours down!
2. The guard technician must enter Nagios and do " Acknowledge".

Is there a better way ? How is the best practice for this?

Thanks in advance,

Felipe Ferreira
www.felipeferreira.net <www.felipeferreira.net>(Nagios blog, Custom
Plugins, Scripts, Setup, Howto's)