Forcing a Service State to Recovery

Victor Lanza vicjalan at gmail.com
Tue May 13 19:20:26 CEST 2008

Hi all,

Sorry for the lengthy email but is it possible to force a service or a host
into an OK state manually?

Basically what I have going on is, using the check_logfiles add-on I check
several application logs for specific errors, however if an error is
detected the service will go into a critical state and then on following
check (if no errors are found) will issue an "OK" state. What I want is for
Nagios to only issue a critical state and remain in this state. This will
force someone to actually look at problem and not wait for it to
automatically send a recovery alert. Once the log has been investigated,
then the user should force the OK state. I've looked into the "Disable
active checks of this service" as well as "Acknowledge this service problem"
but I find that these 2 do not satisfy completely what I'm looking for.

Disable active checks of this service - This keeps the service in a critical
state but the downside is that it can only be done manually (I need the
service to remain critical from the initial check). Also, this stops
notifications from going out.

Acknowledge this service problem - This also has to be done manually. Also,
this does not keep the service in a critical state, upon the next service
check; it will revert to an OK if no errors are found on the log since the
last check).