Forcing a Service State to Recovery

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Tue May 13 19:33:56 CEST 2008

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 01:20:26PM -0400, Victor Lanza wrote:
>    Basically what I have going on is, using the check_logfiles add-on I check
>    several application logs for specific errors, however if an error is
>    detected the service will go into a critical state and then on following
>    check (if no errors are found) will issue an “OK” state. What I want is for
>    Nagios to only issue a critical state and remain in this state. This will
>    force someone to actually look at problem and not wait for it to
>    automatically send a recovery alert. Once the log has been investigated,
>    then the user should force the OK state. I’ve looked into the “Disable
>    active checks of this service” as well as “Acknowledge this service
>    problem” but I find that these 2 do not satisfy completely what I’m looking
>    for.

The problem you're really complaining about, as near as I can rephrase
it, is that check_logfiles is level sensitive, and you want it to be
edge sensitive -- instead of "logfile contains this string" being an
error condition, you want "logfile just got this string added to it" to
be a red trap, and for managers to be able to send the green trap
manually.

I think this is a failing in the design of c_l, or at least it not
being designed for what you want -- which seems a reasonable thing to
want -- but you could also view it as Nagios being iffy on handling
trap type notices, as well, I suspect.

Cheers
-- jra

	     Those who cast the vote decide nothing.