Host are up but not notified.

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Sun Mar 23 14:49:34 CET 2008

On Mar 23, 2008, at 12:01 AM, Gaurav Ghimire wrote:

<rearranging reply to fit in context...>

> Marc Powell wrote:
>>
>> Does this host have any services associated with it? What is their
>> status when this problem occurs? Can you post the host definition and
>> a service definition for the host?
> Yes this host has the service definitions attached to it. The
> configuration were the same and it was working well before the
> upgrade. I was using 2.0b4, later when I upgraded to 2.10 I started
> facing this sort of issues.

There are no known issues with any version of nagios like this.

> Here is the host and its attached service.
>
> Host Definition
>
> define host{
>         use                     generic-host3
>         host_name               wrk_a
>         alias                   wrk
>         address                 192.168.1.5
>         check_command           check-host-alive
>         max_check_attempts      10
>         notification_interval   120
>         notification_period     24x7
>         notification_options    d,r
>         contact_groups  admins
>         }

Looks fine. The implication then is that your check-host-alive command
doesn't actually do that. The status information at the time this
happens would be the confirmation of that. When a service goes down,
check-host-alive is run. If it returns a non-OK state (or fails in
certain ways), the host status is set to non-OK. When the service
recovers, check-host-alive is run again to verify that the host has
recovered. If it still returns a non-OK state (or fails in certain
ways), the host status will remain non-OK. When you restart nagios,
check-host-alive is _not_ run. Instead, nagios assumes the host is OK
as long as the service on the host returns OK.

--
Marc