OpMonAgent vs NSClient++ (was Nagios 3.0 SLA Reporting)

Phil Costelloe philc at foundation-it.com
Tue Jun 3 12:11:03 CEST 2008

I mean NSClient. I still have that happily running on some of the longer
lived servers and others have the TSMG rewrite that seemed to be
abandoned. But neither supports 64 bit windows. So I tried NSclient++, found
it to be a royal PITA to configure with unhelpful documentation [1], tried
OpmonAgent which just worked so I kept using it.

> I'm not sure if I considered OpMonAgent but I'd really like to know if
> it can beat NSClient++ which to my knowledge (or perhaps just
> perception) seems to be the more popular Windows agent.

I think NSClient++ is probably hugely more popular, which is why I mention
OpmonAgent at every opportunity so that people know it's out there. It seems
to be solidly written and actively supported, so if it does what you need
(a drop in replacement for NSClient with the option of running NRPE checks)
then it's a candidate worth considering.

[1] Apologies to the author of NSClient++, but that was my experience. I wasn't
in a persevering mood, I'm sure if I had persevered then there are great benefits.

--
Phil Costelloe
Foundation IT, Hermitage Berkshire RG18 9SE