Yaps on RHEL 5.1 with Fritz ISDN getting "NO DIALTONE"

Mohr James james.mohr at elaxy.com
Mon Jun 2 18:55:17 CEST 2008

Hi All!

We are running Nagios 3.0 on RHEL 5.1 and are trying to get YAPS 0.96
with an AVM Fritz PCI ISDN card to work as our notification system.
capiinfo seems to be showing the correct information:

Number of Controllers : 1
Controller 1:
Manufacturer: AVM GmbH
CAPI Version: 2.0
Manufacturer Version: 3.11-07  (49.23)
Serial Number: 1000001
BChannels: 2

This indicates to me that the driver is correctly installed and we can
see the card. (Is this correct?)

I run yaps like this

/usr/bin/yaps 0170XXXXXX "TEST"

And get this output:

Found service D1-0170 for 0170XXXXXX
Sending following message:
0170XXXXXX (D1-0170, 0170XXXXXX): TEST
Trying to open /dev/ttyI0 for modem standard
[Hangup]
[Send] <cr>
[Cmd Mdzz 200]
[Send] ATZ<cr>
[Send] AT&E55430<cr>
Using modem standard at 38400 bps, 8n1 over /dev/ttyI0
Trying do dial 01712521002
[Send] ATDT001712521002<cr>
Unable to dial D1-0170

The NO DIALTONE comes immediately (i.e. no time out). I have googled for
the last several hours and have not found anything definitive. The
closest to anything definitive is that Fritz cards work primarily with
SUSE. Unfortunately, I have found nothing specifically for RHES 5.1
(kernel 2.6.18-53.el5) which describes exactly modules to load and in
which order.

However, since capiinfo reports the info from the card, I assume that it
is a configuration issue with yaps or the connection, in general. (see
below for loaded modules) The yaps works from another machine using the
same connection. It is in a different room, so we have to go throug a
couple of patch panels. I have switch that cables and am now using new
ones I took right out of the bag. Perhaps the patch panels have a
problem. Up to the final [Expect] the output appear identical.

/dev/ttyI0 looks like this:
crw-r--r-- 1 root root 43, 0 Jun  2 18:04 /dev/ttyI0

I was thinking about forcing yaps not to wait for a dialtone, so in
/etc/yaps.rc I changed this

dial          ATDT0%L\r <60CONNECT|OK|BUSY|NO\sDIALTONE|NO\sCARRIER

to this:

dial            ATDT0X3%L\r <60CONNECT|OK|BUSY|NO\sCARRIER

I no longer get "NO DIALTONE" immediately, but I get a timeout after 30
seconds.

I would be grateful for any assistance.

Regards,

Jim Mohr

=============
lsmod:
Module                  Size  Used by
fcpci                 597376  0
hisax_isac             11989  0
hisax                 356093  1 hisax_isac
crc_ccitt               6337  1 hisax
isdn                  122305  1 hisax
slhc                   10561  1 isdn
capi                   20993  0
kernelcapi             48705  2 fcpci,capi
capifs                  9801  2 capi
autofs4                24389  2
hidp                   23105  2
rfcomm                 42457  0
l2cap                  29633  10 hidp,rfcomm
bluetooth              53925  5 hidp,rfcomm,l2cap
sunrpc                144253  1
ip6t_REJECT             9409  1
xt_tcpudp               7105  6
ip6table_filter         6849  1
ip6_tables             18181  1 ip6table_filter
x_tables               17349  3 ip6t_REJECT,xt_tcpudp,ip6_tables
ipv6                  251393  45 ip6t_REJECT
dm_multipath           21577  0
video                  19269  0
sbs                    18533  0
backlight              10049  0
i2c_ec                  9025  1 sbs
button                 10705  0
battery                13637  0
asus_acpi              19289  0
ac                      9157  0
lp                     15849  0
floppy                 57125  0
joydev                 13313  0
sg                     36061  0
ide_cd                 40033  0
parport_pc             29157  1
parport                37513  2 lp,parport_pc
cdrom                  36705  1 ide_cd
e1000                 119505  0
i2c_i801               11469  0
tg3                   104133  0
i2c_core               23745  2 i2c_ec,i2c_i801
serio_raw              10693  0
pcspkr                  7105  0
dm_snapshot            20709  0
dm_zero                 6209  0
dm_mirror              28741  0
dm_mod                 58201  15
dm_multipath,dm_snapshot,dm_zero,dm_mirror
ata_piix               18501  0
libata                115833  1 ata_piix
megaraid_sas           31345  3
sd_mod                 24897  5
scsi_mod              132685  4 sg,libata,megaraid_sas,sd_mod
ext3                  123337  5
jbd                    56553  1 ext3
ehci_hcd               32973  0
ohci_hcd               23261  0