OpMonAgent vs NSClient++ (was Nagios 3.0 SLA Reporting)

Dario B. Bestetti dario.bestetti at opservices.com.br
Mon Jun 2 20:09:47 CEST 2008

----- "Hari Sekhon" <hpsekhon at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Phil Costelloe wrote:
> >> I'm also looking forward to this. I'm a big fan of OpmonAgent as a
> >> replacement
> >> for Nsclient on Windows systems, it installs and runs without any
> fuss
> >> at
> >> all. I like things that Just Work. :)
> >>
> >> --
> >> Phil Costelloe
> >> Foundation IT, Hermitage Berkshire RG18 9SE
> >>
> On this note, do you mean NSClient or the newer NSClient++?
>
> I have found that NSClient++ is a doddle to deploy with a batch script
>
> across all servers.
>
> very briefly: copy over the binary, set the service, run.
>
> This is only mildly more difficult than an msi installation, possibly
>
> even easier to actively push out via batch in fact.
>
> I'm not sure if I considered OpMonAgent but I'd really like to know if
>
> it can beat NSClient++ which to my knowledge (or perhaps just
> perception) seems to be the more popular Windows agent.
>
> -h
>
> --
> Hari Sekhon

Just to make some observations about OpMon Agent for Nagios. When we decided to take over the development of the old NSClient, we were looking for some requirements regarding a Windows agent:

- A very small footprint
- Agent stability
- A lightweight piece of software
- No dependency on other softwares