Remote external commands

Frank J. Gómez frank at crop-circle.net
Mon Jun 2 20:25:43 CEST 2008

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I started thinking about this too and
remembered seeing it come across the list, so I dug it up.

Mark, did you ever find a solution to your problem?  Have you tried using
check_by_ssh (http://nagiosplugins.org/man/check_by_ssh)?  I haven't looked
at it in depth, but it looks like you can use it to call any command on the
remote server... so if, for example, you wanted to turn off service
notifications for a host remotely, I think you could do something like this
from your central monitoring server:

define command {
     command_name    silence_host
     command_line       $USER1$/check_by_ssh -H $ARG1$ -C 'printf "[%lu]
DISABLE_HOST_SVC_NOTIFICATIONS;$ARG2$\n" `date +%s`' >
/var/nagios/rw/nagios.cmd
}

... where $ARG1$ is the IP address of the distributed monitoring server for
the cluster in which the host resides, and $ARG2$ is the host_name of the
server you want to silence.

I haven't tried or tested this, but I guess this is where I would start.
What do you think?  Did you find another way?

-Frank