Behaviour/status when Nagios is restarted

Mohr James james.mohr at elaxy.com
Wed Jul 23 13:49:47 CEST 2008

Hi All!

I am confused about Nagios' behavior when it is restarted. One of the
basic questions is what classifies as "state information" and what is
"non-state information". When we acknowledge a service problem, I would
expect this acknowledgement to be a "state information." However, when
we restart Nagios, these acknowledgement disappear. The configuration is
as follows:

nagios.cfg:
retention_update_interval=60
state_retention_file=/usr/local/nagios/var/retention.dat
retain_state_information=1
use_retained_program_state=1
use_retained_scheduling_info=1

All templates use:

retain_status_information  1

and I do not explicitely turn it of for any service.

Based on this configuration my assumption is that Nagios should retain
status information across Nagios restarts. Since the acknowledgements
are not retained, this implies that acknowledgements are not state
information. Is this correct?  Do I simply need to activate
retain_nonstatus_information?

Another issue is the initial_state directive. We have several passive
services which we set

initial_state   o

I initially set these services manually to OK. However, when I restart
Nagios these services go back to "pending", which is not a happy thing.
Is there anything I can do?

Regards,

Jim Mohr