Bad File Descriptors

Ryan Steele ryans at aweber.com
Wed Jul 23 15:03:57 CEST 2008

Hey folks.

I recently had a co-worker present me with a problem regarding the NSCA
plugin.  It seems that under certain cirumstances (unfortunately, those
circumstances are unknown to him and thus me as well), NSCA just kind of
hangs (an strace shows basically an idle screen) and these sorts of
errors start flooding the daemon log:

nsca[28640]: Network server accept failure (9: Bad file descriptor)

The quick fix is to restart NSCA, and then everything hums along until
the next incident.

It's possible there's a bad block on the disk or something, and an fsck
might yield some clues, but I haven't had the chance to schedule
downtime to do that yet.  It's also possible it's hitting the fd limit,
but in the time I've been monitoring it, I don't see any leaking of fd's
that would point to that as a suspect (the limit is the default of
1024).  Additionally, according to ulimit, the pipe size is 4k, which
could be an issue as the nsca clients write to a pipe on the server
(nagios.cmd), but that's only an option configurable at kernel
compile-time and I expect I'd see more widespread reports of problems
from other folks in the community if overflowing the default pipe buffer
was really the issue.

I've seen some sparse reports on Google of a similar problem, but
they're just that - sparse.   Which kind of makes me think it's not
Nagios or NSCA, but a bad block on the hard drive.  Anybody have a
similar experience or opinion?

Thanks!

Ryan