Notifiactions question

Marc Torres sarinyo at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 10:59:17 CEST 2008

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 11:53 AM, Arno Lehmann <al at its-lehmann.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> 23.07.2008 11:20, Marc Torres wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm quite newbe to nagios, and I'm trying to configure notifications
>> for services according to host contacts. I mean, I would like to
>> configure contacts (or contact groups) only in the hosts definitions,
>> and then when a monitorized service at that host has a hard state
>> change, the notification gets send to the contact configured at the
>> host definition.
>
> You could do this with custom variables.
>
> You set the data you need for the notifications in the host as, for
> example,
>
> _NOTIFICATIONMAIL
>
> and create a new notification script that uses this address (if
> defined) instead of the default supplied by the Nagios configuration.
>
> Arno

Many thanks! It works like a charm.

What I've done:

I've added a custom variable in the hosts definition as follows:

define host{
        host_name                        mpk1
        alias                                    mpk1
        address                             192.168.21.193
        use                                      mpk-host-template
        display_name                    mpk1
        max_check_attempts       1
        _notification_mail              mail1,mail2,mail3 #coma separated
        _hid                            5
}

Then added a fake contact to be the receiver of all the services
notification at nagio's eyes:

define contact{
        contact_name                    no-contact
        alias                           no-contact
        host_notification_options       d,u,r
        service_notification_options    w,c,r
        host_notification_commands      notify-host-by-email
        service_notification_commands   notify-service-by-email-custom
        email                           mail_here
        host_notification_period        24x7
        service_notification_period     24x7
}

Next, I've added a new command for notifications: (the same as the
original, but I've changed the destination

define command{
        command_name                    notify-service-by-email-custom
        command_line                    /usr/bin/printf "%b" "*****
Nagios *****\n\nNotification Type: $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$\n\nService:
$SERVICEDESC$\nHost: $HOSTALIAS$\nAddress: $HOSTADDRESS$\nState:
$SERVICESTATE$\n\nDate/Time: $LONGDATETIME$\n\nAdditional
Info:\n\n$SERVICEOUTPUT$" | /usr/bin/mail -s "** $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$
Service Alert: $HOSTALIAS$/$SERVICEDESC$ is $SERVICESTATE$ **"
$_HOSTNOTIFICATION_MAIL$
}

Finally I've configured the contact services with no-contact. And that's all!

Thanks again.

Cheers,

Marc.

--
"I'm unique, just like everyone else". Read it out there