add hosts to running nagios through API?

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Tue Jul 1 14:21:07 CEST 2008

On Jul 1, 2008, at 4:30 AM, Christian Schneemann wrote:

> Hi,
> is it possible to add hosts to a running nagios server through an AP
> (commands
> in command file)?

Not currently... Interpret as you will --

checks.c:				/* TODO - add new service definition automatically */
checks.c:				/* TODO - add new host definition automatically */

I also believe this might be something the event broker could do in
the future.

> I can't know which hosts here at work will have the software
> installed, but
> when they have it insalled they has to be monitored.

How would nagios know about them then? My suggestion would be to
create your own plugin that knows this information and checks them all
at once. Assign it to a host that always runs the software or a dummy
host created for this purpose. Alternately, have the service check
assigned to all possible hosts but exit as OK if the software isn't
supposed to be running on it at that time.

--
Marc