add hosts to running nagios through API?

Christian Schneemann cschneemann at suse.de
Wed Jul 2 17:26:19 CEST 2008

On Tuesday July 1 2008 02:21:07 pm Marc Powell wrote:
> On Jul 1, 2008, at 4:30 AM, Christian Schneemann wrote:
> > Hi,
> > is it possible to add hosts to a running nagios server through an AP
> > (commands
> > in command file)?
>
> Not currently... Interpret as you will --
>
> checks.c:				/* TODO - add new service definition automatically */
> checks.c:				/* TODO - add new host definition automatically */
I interpret it, that it is on the TODO list that a service/host definition
should be created automatically if a service/host result comes in which is
not defined?
It it is so, it would be that what I want/need.

> I also believe this might be something the event broker could do in
> the future.
>
> > I can't know which hosts here at work will have the software
> > installed, but
> > when they have it insalled they has to be monitored.
>
> How would nagios know about them then?
The hosts register at the service when they will do jobs for it, from this
service I could get the information about hosts I have to add to nagios.
(service here is not a service in nagios, it is meant as a service on a
server)

> My suggestion would be to
> create your own plugin that knows this information and checks them all
> at once. Assign it to a host that always runs the software or a dummy
> host created for this purpose.
We would like to do it in a clean way ;)

> Alternately, have the service check
> assigned to all possible hosts but exit as OK if the software isn't
> supposed to be running on it at that time.
Thats not possible, I don't want to monitor every workstation we have here at
the company.

We just want to monitor the hosts having this service enabled and for the time
it is enabled.

--
Christian Schneemann

SUSE LINUX Products GmbH,