Fwd: plugin for iostat readings?

Esben Bach esben at cs.aau.dk
Wed Feb 27 02:37:27 CET 2008

I wrote the original plugin (based on some old code i found on the
internet which was broken), and as stated it only parses the output from
iostat -c. It was written for the iostat shipped with RHEL 4 - and i
later found out that for some reason iostat behaves differently on i.e.
SLED10.
The intent of the plugin was to determine general IO wait time not per
device stuff. Basically its used to give us a history of the IO wait
more than a "warning" mechanism. I just included the other parameters of
 iostat -c for completeness.

It should however be fairly easy to implement commandline switches for
specific devices (or all devices) and parse differently based on this
information. However i have no idea on what basis to determine if the
read/wrtn numbers becomes too high (since i generally do not know what
their EXACT meaning is).

I might consider rewriting the plugin to include these improvements, if
you haven't found another solution. However i am not promising anything!

--
Esben