Antwort: Re: Fwd: plugin for iostat readings?

Sascha.Runschke at gfkl.com Sascha.Runschke at gfkl.com
Mon Feb 25 10:36:37 CET 2008

nagios-users-bounces at lists.sourceforge.net schrieb am 25.02.2008 00:26:40:

> > Shortly after writing this, I found this plugin
> >
> > http://www.ofn.dk/files/software/check_iostat
>
> > UPDATE:
> >
> > I configured my Perl environment (i.e. installed Perl modules from
> > cpan, etc), and now when implement this from the commad line, I get
> > something like this
> >
> > ./check_iostat.pl
> > IOSTAT OK - user 2.01 nice 0.00 sys 3.46 iowait 2.38 idle 92.15 |
> > iowait=2.38%;; idle=92.15%;; user=2.01%;; nice=0.00%;; sys=3.46%;;
> >
> > this doesn't have /dev/ info that I'd expect to get from iostat,
> > such as sda
>
> > What might I be missing?
>
> Reading the plugin, it's only running and parsing 'iostat -c' to
> process the cpu utilization report, not the device utilization report.
>
>    my $output = `$iostat -c`;

To my knowledge, there is no such plugin available at the moment.
As I already wrote, I am currently working on one though ;)

On a sidenote: Forget about running it via nrpe, this would be flawed
by design. Since iostat only reports bus usage in realtime and has no
means of displaying averages, it would mean you would have the usage of
your bus for the time of 1 second every minute (at best). Doesn't help
at all. Trust me, I excessively tried things when messing with iostat
parsing on our high load oracle servers. ;) You need to call iostat
with multiple checks - the longer the better - but then it means you
would have to  run iostat for like 30 seconds or so -> plugin runtime
is 30 seconds too then! That means that check would have a high
delay/latency, which is overall a bad idea. My solution so far is
to run the plugin via cron and report output via nsca, this gave
me the best results.

Sadly my plugin is currently not in a state to be released, since it
is yet too far narrowed down to monitor our special oracle environment.
I still need to make it more configurable and such, but I expect to
be able to release it in the next 1-2 weeks - depending on how much
time I have spare to work on it.

Sascha Runschke
Netzwerk- und Systemmanagement
Abt. Organisation und Betrieb - IT-Infrastruktur
Telefon : +49 (201) 102-1879
Mobile : +49 (173) 5419665
Fax : +49 (201) 102-1102105

GFKL Financial Services AG
Vorstand: Dr. Peter Jänsch (Vors.), Jürgen Baltes, Dr. Till Ergenzinger, Dr. Tom Haverkamp
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Dr. Georg F. Thoma
Sitz: Limbecker Platz 1, 45127 Essen, Amtsgericht Essen, HRB 13522