Perfdata from distributed nodes?

Frost, Mark {PBG} mark.frost1 at pepsi.com
Wed Feb 13 04:53:46 CET 2008

I'm moving our current Nagios 2.10 configuration to a Nagios 3.0rc2
distributed configuration.  One component that isn't working for me is
nagiosgraph.  After some investigation, it appears that the problem is
that while I'm sending the host/service check results to the central
server, none of the perfdata is making it there.  Some of our checks are
processed for nagiosgraph via their host/service output and some by
their performance data.  This is all working on our 2.10 configuration
because none of the perfdata has to travel anywhere (i.e. it's all on
one server).

So I thought I'd be clever and modify the send-service-perfdata and
send-host-perfdata to include $SERVICEPERFDATA$.  That is:

define command {
        command_name    send_service_check
        command_line    $USER5$/send_service_check.pl $HOSTNAME$
'$SERVICEDESC$' $SERVICESTATEID$ '$SERVICEOUTPUT$' '$SERVICEPERFDATA'
}

which kinda looked like it worked.  However, on closer inspection, it
appears that something went wrong on the way to the central server.  I
haven't perused the source, but either nsca or send_nsca seems to have
changed the semi-colons to colons so by the time it got to the Nagios
via the external command file, Nagios doesn't see it as perfdata
anymore.

Clearly I'm missing something.  How can I transfer perfdata information
from my distributed nodes to my central server where my graphs are going
to be created?

Thanks

Mark