RFC Possible bug in 3.0 alpha event handlers/macros ... [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Stanley.HOPCROFT at deewr.gov.au Stanley.HOPCROFT at deewr.gov.au
Sat Feb 9 23:00:16 CET 2008

Dear Hugo,

I am writing to thank you for your letter and say,

> Message: 8
> Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2008 09:23:29 +0100
> From: Hugo van der Kooij <hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org>

> Have you considered that the changelog might not be complete?

Of course !

But don't you think a _major_ change in behaviour should be documented,
or a serious bug - think about it, blowing third party software out of
the water -
acknowledged ?

> I strongly recommend you to DO upgrade first before you even think of
sending in a bug report.

Is it a bug ?

If so, is it it fixed in rc2 ?

If it hasn't been fixed in rc2, will it be fixed in the release ?

> If you cannot do so as soon as you have a couple of minutes then you
should not be running 3.0 alpha to begin with.

Hey man ! I spend time fulfilling _my_ responsibility by reporting a
potential problem and being perfectly
willing to be corrected, and you say I should not test new software and
identify
bugs - unless I am willing to do things you obviously are not - so that
when it is released, others
are saved others from those bugs !

I could have diffed rc1, rc2 and alpha for an undocumented change;
I could have identified the code (maybe) at fault, and may-maybe
submitted a patch;
and yes, I was hoping, someone else might for me because it is not my
code, I am not
familiar with it, and I lack the talent to do it quickly, if at at all.

In other words, that's why I am asking for help, having done as much as
I could.

Tell me I should upgrade to rc2 and the problem will go away because of
this evidence (such as was sent),
and I will gladly upgrade (since I was hoping to go to the release
without every step, because for me, upgrade
means package build, test, install and possibly rollback) and report the
result.

Otherwise, your message is clearly

"If you want to use alpha/rc1, 2, 3 .. nagios, don't whine about it on
Nag users".

> And please do not reply to a message if you want to create a new
thread. It makes a mess of any threading system (like the archives)

> and in this case even the subject is rather uninformative.

I beg your pardon (my employers domain has changed so the mail with the
correct subject and content bounced and as you
can see from my tone, it is starting to become too hard).

> Hugo.

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED