Multiple customers

Hugo van der Kooij hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org
Mon Dec 22 07:36:11 CET 2008

Ronaldo A. Bueno Filho wrote:

> I am trying configure Nagios to monitor multiple customers. I am trying to
> figure out what is the best way to do it.
>
> Imagine the following situation: I have a customer that uses the subnet
> 10.1.0.0/16 and also I have the customer 2 that uses the same subnet
> (10.1.0.0 /16). I am summarizing the addresses.
>
> Is there some way to differentiate those customers? I thought in NAT, but
> when configuring the hosts in the Nagios cfg files, I have to use the public
> IP (NAT), right? Is there some way to use the real IP address? I thought in
> DNS to solve this. What is the suggestions?
>
> Also, I will have different maps for each customers. How to do it.

Technically this is not an Nagios issue. Just an issue of working with
multiple networks administrated by different organisations.

 1. Move to IPv6 and solve the adressing issue once and for all. In the
end you now you have to do that sooner or later.

 2. Do not accept private addresses. They are not unique so they will
not work with multiple networks administered by different admins.

With nagios you could install a local server for each customer where the
objects will have local addresses for the hosts. And let each local
instance report to a global server. But then you must make sure that the
hostnames will remain unique on a global level.

It is for challenges like this that I think the whole the need for IPv6
may finally sink in into the ICT community so we can get rid of all
those stupid NAT constructs.

(If you thought this was a tough one you aint seen nothing yet. )

Hugo.

- --