best way to analyse traffic on a network-device

Jayson Broughton jbroughton at truecos.com
Tue Dec 16 19:14:59 CET 2008

We use Cacti to analyze traffic information on a network device.  Actually,
we use it to monitor and analyze all network traffic on ports on our
switches.  I know in the past that Cacti and Nagios have gone hand in hand
when it comes to monitoring with either tool.  Here's a very short bit on
cacti/nagios from the nagioswiki page.  I don't know what other people do,
but I have cacti running on the same server as nagios.

http://nagioswiki.com/wiki/index.php/Cacti

and cacti's website:
http://cacti.net

If you want to integrate cacti with nagios, there seems to be a-few plugins
on nagiosexchange.org for cacti-nagios integration.  This one looks
promising:

C2n - Cacti to Nagios
c2n.cgi is a filter/wrapper for the frontend of Cacti to include it in
Nagios. It includes the Cacti interface in the right frame of the Nagios web
interface. It filters out any possiblity to switch from one host to another
using cacti menus. Therefore the authentication system of Nagios will take
place and the authentication system of Cacti is unused.

http://www.nagiosexchange.org/cgi-bin/page.cgi?g=Detailed%2F2743.html;d=1

~Jayson

Jayson Broughton
Linux Systems Administrator