Nagios doesn't die when killed

Chris St. Pierre stpierre at NebrWesleyan.edu
Thu Dec 11 16:17:58 CET 2008

I recently upgraded to Nagios 3.0.5 on RHEL 5, and a problem that I
had thought had been solved resurfaced.  After Nagios has been running
for a while -- I can't tell how long, TBH -- it refuses to die when
killed.  I have to kill -9 it.  The init script simply reports that
"nagios did not exit in a timely manner", which is to say, it didn't
exit at all.

Everything continues to work, AFAICT; service checks are performed,
notifications sent, etc.  If I strace the Nagios process, I can see
that SIGTERM is received, but nothing happens.

I didn't find much of value when googling; any ideas where I'd start
to troubleshoot this?  Thanks!

Chris St. Pierre
Unix Systems Administrator
Nebraska Wesleyan University